Bees are quite fascinating creatures, and given that they are the stars of our show, I thought I would share with you some interesting little facts about our good friends, the Bees:
- Bees are the only insect in the world who make food that humans can eat.
- Honey has its own natural preservatives, therefore bacteria can't grow in it.
- The queen bee will lay around 1,500 eggs per day and can live up to 5 years.
- If the queen bee dies, workers will select a new queen from the young larva. They then feed it a special food called 'royal jelly'. This enables the larva to develop into a fertile queen. The queen bee is the only bee that eats royal jelly, and bees specifically make it for her from a special gland in the worker bees heads.
- The worker bees are all female and they do all the work for the hive.
- The male bees in the hive are the drones. Their job in the hive is to mate. Male drone bees don't have a stinger.
- A beehive can have as many as 50,000 to 80,000 bees.
- Bees must collect nectar from approximately 2 million flowers to make 1 pound of honey.
- A honey bee visits 50 to 100 flowers during a collection trip.
- Honey comes in different colors and flavors. The flower where the nectar was gathered from determines the flavor and color of the honey.
- Bees do not prey on any other species.
- Nectar is a sweet watery substance that the bees gather. After they process the nectar in their stomach they regurgitate it into the honeycomb cells. Then they fan it with their wings to remove excess moisture. The final result is honey.
- Honey is the only natural food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and water. It is also the only food that contains pinocembrin, an antioxidant associated with improved brain function.
Comments will be approved before showing up.